January 21, 2011

Fast times at Strayhorn Elementary

Last weekend my friend Alaina and her boyfriend Perk came to visit:

You can tell that they are much taller than I, it looks like a 5-year old took this pic.
In fact, it was me.  Note the nice upward angle.

Alaina and I met when we were in first grade (age: 6) in Mrs. Murphy's class at Strayhorn Elementary School (grades 1-8, student population, less than 300).  We became fast friends and spent most of our childhood and adolescence together.  When I spent the night at her house, we rode horses and watched wrestling (rasslin') on TV.  At my house, we rode go-carts in the pasture.  Yes there were cows.  Yes, it was messy.  We had a great time. College came and went, she got married, had kids, got divorced, and I got married and went to grad school.  But she's a dear friend, and we always have fun together, like we were never apart.  So we had a fun time this weekend.  

We shopped on Saturday, then went to the bar for wings and football, then had some of our Birmingham friends over for burgers and drinks.  

Rob, Alex, and Perk. 
Alex is Russian, and longs to be a redneck.
Perk is a redneck.  
It was a match made in heaven.

 Lily and Addi play the piano.
There was a brief communication error between Steven (their dad) and I.
He made them stop.  There was wailing.
But then it was straightened out.

Edielicious and me keep it classy on the cooler.

I always think, in real life, that I'm the same size as everyone else.
This illustrates how incorrect I am.

Folks eat Bubba Burgers in our living room.

Then I wanted to play some games.  I don't think most people like games, judging by the disastrous "Taboo" incident and what happened when we broke out Jenga.


I have to admit, this one was pretty impressive...


Ben and Amy.  Alan plays "creeper" in the background.

Oh!
Also this weekend, I made my very first "real-deal" lasagna!  I know, I'm behind everyone else on this, it's like the easiest thing in the world, unless you make your own pasta (NO). But I finally did it, I even called my mom to tell my stepdad (yes, the bodybuilder) that I was a "real-deal" eye-talian now.  
I'm STILL eating lasagna.  But it's truly delish.

 In the oven, just finishing up.  
Turns out I didn't really need to make double.

Rob and I made a resolution some time ago to use our wedding china.  I really regret allowing myself to be talked into picking out china, it seems like a silly waste.  But we are enjoying using it once a week.  And we LOVE our fancy Noritake crystal with the platinum rims that Tommy and Donna gave us.  We have white wine, red wine, and water glasses, so we use as many as we can at a time.


In other news: It's been kind of cold here lately, so the animals have finally become chummy friends.  They agree to share lap space.


Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.  I plan to work on some lectures (vom), make birthday cards (yay!), and get a pedicure (ahhhh...).


No comments:

Post a Comment