September 18, 2012

In the blink of an eye

I do have some lovely pictures, videos, and updates of my most adorable baby, but sometimes shit gets real and you have to post something serious.

On Thursday of last week, I witnessed a terrible accident on the interstate.  I was driving on I20/59 from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa and was near the Mercedes plant.  I was on my way to teach my Biology class about Macromolecules. There were three lanes of traffic, I was in the far left.  About 200 feet ahead of me there was an 18 wheeler (yeah these always remind me of my grandpa, who drove a truck for a living) in the middle lane and a Ford SuperDuty pulling a cotton trailer.  

I have no idea what really happened, but I think one of the trailers must have had a blowout and one truck fishtailed into the other. I watched both trucks flip as they flew through the air, and when the pickup landed, it was bent in half.  The 18 wheeler cab landed upside down, and part of it was crushed by its long trailer.  There may have been a small car (a Toyota) involved, but I didn't see it once the accident was over.

It would be remarkable to me if anyone survived.

I watched it happen in slow motion, and then watched as a large metal part of the 18 wheeler's cab flew off and came hurling toward my car, missing the windshield barely, as I pulled off onto the left shoulder.  I somehow had time to think, "Wow, it's really sad now that Em is going to have to grow up without me." The piece landed about 5 feet away from the driver's side of my car. I passed that large chunk of metal again today as I drove on that same road between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.  

I was so close to the accident that I was the first person to stop.  A couple guys stopped after me and went running toward the accident to try and help the people that may be trapped. I called out to tell them I was calling 911, then I talked to the Highway Patrol Office to give the location and a few details about the accident. I tried to calm down, then went on my way before the interstate came to a standstill.

My lecture about Macromolecules?  It went pretty great.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, Keri. I'm sorry that happened to you but glad you didn't get hurt. Sounds like an awful accident; I hope that everyone somehow survived it. Glad that piece of metal missed your car. You know I adore you and thinking about something like that almost happening to you is really scary. I imagine it's even scarier for you and your family. Just glad you're not hurt.

    I hope you have a good rest of the week. I'll try to write you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg you're the best. Don't write to me; I owe you 100 emails. Let's gchat instead! My week should be more open after today. The past week has been too too crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Keri. I mostly write you to tell you what I've been up to but you do that with your blog here so I figure we're about even. I would love to gchat at some point if we get the chance. Always enjoy talking to you.

    ReplyDelete