January 31, 2013

Seeing the Positive: 2013 in Review Already

So I guess it's time to come clean.  2013 has not been my favorite.  It has not been our favorite.

I have been sick TWICE.  And learned that pregnant ladies take about 2x as long to recover from any illness as any "normal" person. I pride myself on my awesome immune system (I know, that is pretty lame.), so this has been quite a blow. Plus, it's hard to get anything done when you are coughing and sneezing and feel like dirt. And, I hate having to take so many meds (antibiotics, decongestants, etc), all of which are safe in pregnancy, but kind of make me feel like poor Harper is going to be born all frazzled with a dent in her head. I have kept the meds to a minimum, but still. 

After I finally recovered from the first plague that infected our entire family ON NEW YEARS EVE (yeah, we went to bed at 10:30 because we were sick), Rob got the flu. He was well for about 2 days before I was sick again.  But Em and I both were vaccinated against the flu this year so that's a good thing.

Our babysitter is moving to Michigan.  But no worries, we found a nanny!  She is to start on Monday, Feb 4.  OH WAIT, SHE BACKED OUT.  LAST WEEK. Great.  So then we went on a "flight of the bumblebee" type nanny search, found one that seemed great, and then it turned out that she had waaaayyyy too much drama going on in her life.  And that stuff matters when you depend on someone to be at your house for a certain number of hours each day, and be in the presence of mind to care for your child. But we did eventually work out our childcare situation, even though it is only a temporary solution.

We recently got three large water leaks under our house fixed, which had contributed to the approximate doubling of our water bill before we found them.  But hey, they're fixed, so this is not too bad.

Plus, I found out that the funding for my job (WHICH I HAD SECURED UNTIL JUNE, 2014), might actually not work out. So at the end of June of 2013, I have no job.  This is making me feel quite murderous, because I am currently on a pregnant-lady job hunt.  This is a BAD SURPRISE. And let's be honest.  It matters if you are pregnant and show up at an interview.  Hoping to find a job in teaching that starts in the fall so it won't matter anyway.  We shall see. How is it that a person goes to college for TEN YEARS AND BECOMES A DOCTOR to not have any clue in hell how they will get paid in six months? Guess I'll have to use that Ph.D. and be creative.

But if I don't have a job, I guess I won't need childcare.  So there is at least that.  And no, in the current economic state of the country (which is improving, but not awesome), I don't feel I'm being the least bit dramatic.

The above job scenario forced us to wait on buying the vehicle we wanted, though, which we found pre-owned and close-by.  It is still available, but we are not sure we want to drop a huge amount of money on a car right now. Damn it sucks being an adult.

Harper has a choroid plexus cyst on the left brain hemisphere. The choroid plexus is the part of the brain that makes cerebrospinal fluid.  Damn me and my in-depth knowledge of the brain, but this is an important structure! The doctors are not worried about it, but do want to make sure it resorbs in the next 4 weeks, as it is a marker for chromosomal disorders.  So I have an ultrasound scheduled for then. My other chromosomal disorder screens all came back negative, which is a great sign. No, I don't really want to discuss it AT ALL, other than to update later. So please don't email/text/call and ask, pretty pretty please. We have kept this information private for several weeks because I didn't want to talk about it (but my blog feels like a lie if I don't put everything out there). Plus, I have just told you everything I know, and in my heart I feel like everything is going to be just fine.  I am just waiting for that confirmation from the doctor's mouth to my brain!

But I am trying, as of this week, to see the positive.  There is lots of it around, actually. Lots.  So in February I'm going to stress less. Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment