July 25, 2011

Clean Breezes!

This weekend our main objective was to clean the ceiling fan blades and replace the smoke detector batteries.  This is what happens when you're not allowed to drink.  I mean, Rob can drink all he likes, and probably should.  But the most fun thing I can think of sober is to clean fan blades.  

Anyway, Rob cleaned the fan blades in Emerald's room and replaced the batteries in the kitchen smoke alarm after I threatened him with me teetering on the top rung of the ladder.  

I also went to the gym (TWO TIMES) and did some baby decorating!  (I know my blog has taken a turn for the super boring lately.)  It's still a work in progress, but we've got plenty of time to get it just right :)

First things first:  There are two pieces missing out of my now-completed puzzle.  I have a request to the company to see if I can get the two missing pieces for a small fee (some companies do this), but I might have to shell out the cash for a new puzzle and sift through 1000 pieces to complete this thing.  Will keep you posted, as you are no doubt on the edge of your seat.


 The Bambi posters are up!  Plus a baby picture each of Mom and Dad.
That's me in the middle; don't worry they are all straight now.

That's Rob in the middle.  Yes, I'm aware that we look like siblings.

A view of the wall.  Nevermind the disassembled jogger.
We bought the dresser from someone on Craigslist-
the only money we have spent on baby furniture.
My sis was nice enough to let us borrow Tye's super-Cadillac swing with iPod connection!
We are probably the cheapest new parents in history, but we have other things 
to spend our money on.  Like daycare.  And college. 

Emerald's sonogram (she looks like me, lol) AND the super-adorable
vintage lamp I found on Etsy!

Some extra storage and artwork Rob did as a 7th grader!

Some toys from Rob's childhood (remember Pound Puppies and Pound Purries?) 
in a willow switch basket made by my great-grandmother.  
Plus, my wedding dress "from that day Mom was a princess".
I'll admit it's a hodgepodge, but we try and make it special.

The crib (another borrowed piece from Rikki)
The quilt was a baby quilt made by my grandmother, 
and the blanket was crocheted by my Mom, both pieces from my babyhood.
I'm a sucker for family stuff, if you can't tell.
I did buy the crib skirt from Land of Nod, but decided to forego a full crib set.
Got my eye on an adorable mobile, and the framed puzzle will go above the crib.

Clean Breezes!
Check out our LED lightbulbs.  We are so green.

Rest time.

Now the truth comes out-I use this room for folding clothes.
And Bells uses it for her toys (see giant stuffed tomato in bottom left corner).

Homie and Slick say hi to Abby.

But really, Slick doesn't care.

Hope y'all have a good week.  I'm going to try and be more exciting in the future, but I bet it's a lost cause.



4 comments:

  1. yay baby room! looks good!
    Tell Homie I miss him and remind him I'm the one who let him eat gravy off my spoon the one time!
    Tell Slick I care so little, I almost forgot who he was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also thinking about the time homie ate gravy off my spoon filled me with fierce nostalgia for all our friday and sunday nights hanging out on one of our couches or porches with (or singing about) the cats. I miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hah, yeah i was telling my sister about our animals' heritage.

    slick has a french father and a cuban mother, resulting in a chainsmoking habit.
    homie is british.
    bells is argintinian.

    my sister said "geez i'm glad you're having a baby-that's ridiculous"

    i don't think she appreciated the fact that they also speak in accents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get lots of blank looks when i tell people that layla's mom was jewish, so I understand. And then they're even more confused when i explain that her dad was black, but she's jewish because jewishness passes matrilinearly

    fewer blank looks when I tell people that sylvie's mom is from thailand and her dad is a sailor. I think because it is obvious sylvie obviously did not spend her formative years in a stable and nurturing environment.

    ReplyDelete