March 8, 2012

Inferno

This past Tuesday, an apartment building caught fire about two blocks from our house.  The smoke was stifling and the flames were sky high.  I feel terrible for each occupant of the 27-unit complex-their lives have been totally uprooted.  It was shocking and amazing to watch the fire consume the building.  Our street was blocked off for several hours, and the firefighters worked all night and into the next day.  Luckily no one was hurt or killed. I may have had such a strong reaction to it because of my experience with my family losing everything in Hurricane Katrina, or maybe I'm a nicer person now that I have a kid.  Whichever.  Either way it means that I'm cleaning out our closets and linens to donate anything we don't need to people that have lost everything.  

At any rate, I'm still just jerky enough to take pictures of someone else's tragedy so I can share them with you.  All of these shots were taken from our front porch, two blocks from the blaze.  You can see the fireman tower and tons of smoke. It was amazing, and took out two buildings with a fire wall in between.





No comments:

Post a Comment