October 15, 2012

Fun with Memere

Rob and I are in New Orleans at the Society for Neuroscience conference.  We both gave talks yesterday, and I was completely panicked when I found out my talk was in a theatre!  It wasn't full by any stretch of the imagination (I realize I'm not that awesome), so it turned out okay.  But it was definitely an intimidating space that I had to walk in and out of a few times before I got up the courage to give my talk to the chairman of the session.

We both got lots of positive feedback from our presentations.  Rob had a very famous scientist, Graham Collingridge, at his talk and got some good suggestions for his project from him. I don't know if anyone famous was at my talk besides for me.  But lots of people really liked what I had to say so that's a plus.

We're seeing lots of people from UAB and other places while we're here. It's good to run into some old friends.  Abby brought me Em's birthday present, which she'll open at her party.  I am sure this will place Abby firmly at the top of Em's "favorite person" list, just where she wants to be.  Johanna is down from Nashville, Lindsey's down from NY, and Rachel and Hayley made it here from the west.  So I've been enjoying catching up with everyone since I was not at SfN last year.

I have to say I'm pretty exhausted by the thought of doing any actual work at this conference, now that the grants are out, and my talk is over.  But I made a valiant effort this morning and afternoon.  I'm currently in the hotel room watching "Say Yes to the Dress", and some bride on here says that she wants to look like a "Flamingo Dancer" on her wedding day.  I didn't know that was a thing, and perhaps she means "Flamenco"?  Anyway I'm enjoying the mindless entertainment of these people whose WORST NIGHTMARES include their wedding dress not fitting.  I appreciate the anxiety, but I guess I'm past that part of my life so now it makes me laugh :)

Meanwhile, Em is having a great time with my Mom and with her Aunt Rikki.  I've recently learned that Em knows how to say "Thank You" (I can never understand what she's saying!), and that Aunt Rikki is her new favorite person.  Memere is busy feeding her all kinds of fun foods like marshmallow Froot Loops.  Em might never come home!

Yesterday they took a trip to the park after Rob and I left for the conference.  I also have some pictures of Tye's 3rd birthday party but those will have to wait until I have a chance to upload them.

Fun with Memere:

Headed for some fun at the park




Coke Icee in a sippy cup after the park. Em is taking it VERY SERIOUSLY.

 With Aunt Rikki and Cousin Tye.

I don't know ANYONE else that is allowed to mess up my parents house like this.

Perhaps Em and my mom made some margaritas...

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment