November 7, 2012

Winning the Election is the Easy Part

Well, election day has come and gone.  

I have to say that I LOVE election day.  It's so exciting, so many opinions, so many people SURE that they are right (ok, so in this way, election day is similar to all the other days on the calendar).  Everyone gets to cast their vote.  I mean, the electoral college kinds of squishes the excitement of casting your vote in an All-Red or All-Blue state, but you at least get the chance to make your voice heard.  I love it.  I know, so patriotic of me!

Last night in Alabama, our fantastic population voted to keep segregationist language in the constitution as it relates to public schools.  I find this a big fail.  Really, Alabama?  THE SITE of the Civil Rights Movement?  But we also voted to keep our Wildlife Preservations funded and protected for the next 20 years.  There were some other things we voted on too, but those were the big things, other than the obvious.

So just in case you get all your breaking news from my blog, President Obama has been re-elected.  As in 2008, he has a long list of challenges to work on. What president doesn't? I have to say that I am happy with our country's decision to re-elect Obama, but I also have a lot of faith that things are going to be okay no matter what.  People find a way to survive, if not thrive. Obama's ideals and goals just line up a little more evenly with mine than those of Mitt Romney. SO EVEN THOUGH I HAVE OPENED A HUGE CAN AND THERE ARE WORMS EVERYWHERE (!!!), that's as close to "political" as you'll ever see this blog get. 

A tangent: In most situations (close friends aside) I think it is incredibly rude to talk politics, religion, and how busy you are.  You never know who you will offend with the former two, and it is safe to assume that most conversations will offend EVERYONE. And as for the latter, how self-absorbed does a person need to be to assume that they are the only busy person in the world? I am SO VERY GUILTY of this type of self-absorption-I know everyone is busy, but I still like to complain about my own "To-Do" list. I've done it on this blog! Perhaps a New Year's Resolution is in order...or maybe a November 2012 Resolution. 

Anyway, I'm not here to tell you my political opinions.  I'm only here to make one simple point.

Like "getting into" medical/graduate/professional school, "getting voted in" was the easy part.

Here's to a productive 4 years.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this after having talked to you about politics some earlier today, haha. I guess my take on it is that I just like to be different on everything and I don't see politics or religious as a taboo topic and I am not sure that people talking about beliefs that they hold that they think are important should be considered taboo. But, I do know that most people do find it taboo or uncomfortable so I really only bring it up with people who I am comfortable with.

    I guess it also helps that I find popular topics pretty boring. When I actually had a job, the whole office would go out to eat together once a month. When this happened, I remember having to sit through people talking about such topics as knitting, dance moves, and Sex and the City. I would have killed to be able to talk about philosophy or politics. I was bored out of my mind on a regular basis at those lunches, haha.

    Oh, and by the way, I didn't vote and don't plan on ever doing so again, haha.

    I'll end my long ranting comment now.

    ReplyDelete