September 29, 2010

Pheidippides Died.

Well, Amy and I have started marathon training as of this week. Why would we do that? Because we think we can. And I know if I'm going to do it, now is definitely the time. (No kids, a husband writing a dissertation, you do the math.)

Being in a somewhat flexible job where I can work pretty much whatever hours I want, I am not accustomed to waking up early. I like to stay up late, so the reality of marathon training hit me at exactly 5:45 this morning, after a big garlic-y dinner last night and staying up to catch up on "The Sopranos" on Netflix. (We are on Season 3.)

But I had to be in the shower to get ready for my teaching day in Tuscaloosa (every Wednesday) by 6:45, so that meant an early morning-it was a pretty short run today. I'm down. And now I feel very accomplished.

This is the first week of training, so I'm still in the excited phase.

Here's how it goes:

Sunday- Cross Train (easy enough)

Monday- Rest (very easy)

Tuesday- Run in the a.m., Power Yoga in the p.m. (gotta keep those muscles strong and stretched out!)

Wednesday- Run in the a.m.

Thursday- Run in the a.m., Power Yoga in the p.m.

Friday- Rest (!)

Saturday- Loooonngg Run for the week (up to 20 miles)

So periodically I will blog about how this is all going. I have run quite a few half marathons, a 15K, and a million 5Ks. I know what training is, and I know I'm going to be in amazing shape, but too tired to enjoy it at all. I know I will drink so much (organic) milk and eat so much (all-natural) cashew and peanut butter we might go broke. I already dread the 18-miler the day after Christmas. After all, Pheidippides DIED.

The 1896 Olympic Marathon, courtesy Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment