November 29, 2010

Sometimes days are like that (even in Austrailia).

I'm feeling a bit sad and anxious at the moment.  I'm not sure why exactly, and I'm certainly not sure why I'm admitting it to the internet of all things.  

My day was not particularly bad.  I got lots of stuff done that I'd been putting off, with only a few minor annoyances. I have a very productive week planned, and with the exception of a lecture I have to give, it will be relatively stress-free. I just had a really long weekend, that was pretty relaxing, except for me destroying my knees (see previous post). Got the house cleaned, etc.

But there's a buildup of junk that just needs to go away, and I feel completely helpless for most of it.  Rob's trying desperately to finish grad school, but feels himself falling behind.  We are so ready to be done with this stage of our lives-I think it's wearing on us without us really realizing it.  I mean, I'm sure he realizes it. I remember being so close to done, but having so much left to do. It's frustrating.  I don't put pressure on him-he is really good at doing that to himself. We're ready to move on.

The holidays are coming.  I'm excited for the time off and excited to see family, excited to do it all.  But it is still stressful.  Even good stress is still stress, after all, and still gives you pimples.  That's another thing.  I'm almost 30 years old and please someone tell me why I still get breakouts?  Anyway.

I do realize that all of this is just....life. 
Anyway, I just don't feel at ease today, and even though everything is technically fine, I'm reminded of my favorite book, "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day". I always think to myself when things are going off-kilter that "sometimes days are like that, even in Australia".

And for something a little more adult:


"And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore, be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham,
drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy."

from: Desiderata by Max Ehrmann


Now that I've projected my malcontent into the internet, I feel better, and I think I might have some wine and go to bed.  How's that for excitement??

2 comments:

  1. Hey Keri, I can definitely understand the being close to finishing but still having so much to do. I guess it was overwhelming for me. Even though I now wake up and don't have to worry about it, I still feel a little stressed but, like you've said, I don't always know why. I guess between being in school since I was 5 or having some entry-level, low-paying job, stress has just always there and maybe I don't know how to not have any. I know you've been in school and working for a while too so I think that may be part of it. Maybe I don't know any other way and there are ways to learn to be less stressed. Just some amateur psychology on my part so I may not have any idea what I'm talking about, haha.

    I hope your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks greg, i think you are absolutely right. i'm just so used to having to worry about SOMETHING that i don't know how to chill. but you know, i'm pretty type-A as well, so this might just be my way :)
    happy hump-day!

    ReplyDelete