April 4, 2011

Relay for Life! And other things

(This past Friday I participated in Relay for Life, and all-night team relay walk for cancer.  Our team (PhD's outside the lab) met our fundraising goal and even went over!  We raised over 2,000 bucks!  Edie was our team leader, and her parents even came to support her, because this is a cause very near to their hearts.  When they took their "caregiver" lap, everyone squawled.  Even me.  (That's right, I no longer have a heart of stone, stop making fun of me.)

Our most fun fundraising adventure was the science-themed bake sale, where we raised about $650!  We had various science-shaped cookies, as well as a periodic table made completely of cupcakes.  It was a huge success!

Science-themed cookies!  Yes, there were test tubes, various stages of mitosis, flasks,
neurons, mitochondria, gel electrophoresis, mice, etc.

Our fabulous table, PERIODIC table, that is.

Our team!  We wore science garb for our team lap around the track. 
Most people snagged animal facility stuff, but I snagged a brain dissecting apron.
And someone brought  black nitrile gloves.  Sweet.

Edie did a great job organizing, so our success is definitely due to her hard work.  

In other weekend news, Saturday I spent some time laying on the couch and complaining that no one would bring me cupcakes or anything else yummy.  Then Rob took me on a walk instead, after which I felt much better.  So I caught up on housecleaning.  I'm pretty sure no one can understand how nasty I have allowed my house to get the past few weeks, but now it is livable and no longer looks like trashy people live there.

I had brunch with my friend Stephanie at Dyron's Lowcountry and then subsequently had regrets about the crab cake benedict I chose to consume.  But we had fun anyway, and then I went and bought some new tea at World Market!   

I also have spent the past few days fielding well-wishers, which is a lot of fun and very exhausting.  I like that so many people are excited for the bun in the oven. It's fun to talk about our plans. Although I'm already wishing it was more of a microwave than an oven--this is such a long process!  I'm lucky, because I feel good, even if a little sleepy.

I have also spent considerable time fielding personal (and somewhat intrusive) questions and comments {and avoiding people that think it's okay to blow smoke in my face (?)}.

Examples:
"Wow!  Your boobs are bigger already!" 
"Have you had problems with constipation? Wow, when I was pregnant....."

I don't know why these things bother me, but I don't just go around commenting on people's boobs and bowel habits.  BECAUSE IT WOULD MAKE THEM UNCOMFORTABLE. I suppose it's something I have to get used to?

At any rate, hope everyone had a fantastic weekend!
  

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Keri,
    You guys being there supporting me was the best :) I will always bring you cupcakes and goodies whenever you want!! just ask

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may make me feel a little awkward if you told me that my boobs were getting bigger, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your team did a great job!!! Very creative and impressive! I'm glad you exceeded your goal! Congrats!!!
    Are you sure you "no longer have a heart of stone"? That would be an amazing side effect of pregnancy! JK, you've always been one of the nicest people on the planet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry i made a boob comment... wuuups.
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, it's okay steph. i thought it was funny, just had to include it. and you are not the only one-your comment was mild compared to others!

    ReplyDelete