August 17, 2010

Old lady

Today I feel old.  

The undergrads are back on campus, and more spastic and douchey than ever, if possible.  This is combined with all of the first-year med students, who I'm convinced were placed in a room and told they are better than everyone else on campus.  

Anyway, the students are running to class.  Running.  I guess maybe they are late, or they are lost.  The ones that are driving are looking for a parking space close to class, really a moot point on any campus. This part is pretty comical.

I usually ride my bike to work--it's a 6-minute trip one-way on the sidewalks.  But today I drove, parked a little farther away, and walked in to the lab. This exercise takes about 30 minutes, so it's not the most efficient. It was a good decision, however, because the sidewalks were jam-packed with lost freshmen. Not to mention those magical mystical people that walk alone, but somehow take up an entire sidewalk all by themselves.  

So I'm trying to remember what I was like as an undergraduate student.  As an entering freshman in the fall of 2000, I routinely wore pajamas to my early classes, didn't have a cell phone (!), went to the dorm to shower after chemistry, then went to the afternoon classes in regular clothes.  I drove a 1990 Honda Accord, which wasn't fancy, but it got good gas mileage and transported me from A to B. College was lovely, and I loved the freedom of it all.  I remember being so excited to start college, so nervous that I would fail, so thrilled to be making new friends that I had lots in common with, and very excited about my brand-new compaq laptop.  I stayed up as late as I wanted.

I wonder if I was as immature as the incoming college students I see on campus today.  I mean, probably I was.  But my mom raised me to at least be considerate.  Also, I had THREE campus jobs.  Two in a lab, and one teaching aerobics.  Combine that with a major in biochemistry and molecular biology, and you've got a busy girl.  

The students today have this awfully inflated sense of entitlement with their iPhones and new cars financed by the "Bank of Mommy and Daddy".  I know from my own experience with college students that half of them do not know how to write a complete sentence containing a subject and a verb that agree.  Rob and I have concluded that college now is an extension of high school, which, sadly, makes grad school the equivalent of what college used to be.  I guess this a natural progression of things.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Even though I'm acting like an old lady, I'm trying to remember that this is a huge step in these kids' lives, and maybe they're not quite as douchey as they seem.  They are probably all excited and overwhelmed at the same time.  College is a huge adjustment.

Despite myself, I'd like to wish all the beginning high-schoolers and college kids a very happy  and successful school year.  Hrmph.

4 comments:

  1. And don't forget sneaking alcohol into the dorm in our backpacks!

    Sometimes, I think that undergrads are really immature and then I think back to some of the more dramatic episodes of undergrad life and think that I was maybe just as bad. Do you realize that it was 10 years ago this week when we started college? As a matter of fact on this day 10 years ago, Port and I were planning my super excited trip to the piercing shop... sigh

    Now I feel old too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, freshman year was quite dramatic. with your roommate, our episodes of "looking at people funny".

    lol it was great, i wouldn't have traded it for anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grade school and high school are not really meant to educate anyone and college is starting to get that way, IMO. Grad school can actually provide an education but by that time, you're 100 years old or so (not you, of course, you're still young ... well, not as young as me, but I digress). I don't really blame the kids, though. They are just going with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a really good point greg. the kids are just the ones that show the effect.

    also, i'm pretty close to 100 years old!

    ReplyDelete