February 3, 2011

Can't get no respect :/

What do I do with a student who is blatantly disrespectful to me time after time?  How do I deal without completely losing my junk? 

This particular student, I believe, feels he can push me around because he is a 6 ft. tall towering male with a clear inferiority complex. And because I'm pretty nice most of the time to my students?  But everyone else knows and respects the boundaries that are set for student behavior. I don't feel like I'm making a mistake by trying to relate to them.

So far I have been attempting to "lead by example", and respectfully and calmly put him back into his place while explaining my reasoning for doing things the way I do. I can be amazingly professional.  Although, I did totally pull rank yesterday and tell him, "When you have a Ph.D. behind your name, you can do what you want. Until then, I'm the instructor and you're the student." As everyone who know me is aware, patience is not my strong point, so I guess this is a learning experience for me too.  It was bound to happen.

That is all for now.

4 comments:

  1. Dang, I'm 6' 2" and never thought of myself as "towering."

    I don't know if I have any good advice. My guess is that if he is not being nice, he is probably looking for a reaction out of you. Either that, or if he is around others, he's trying to show off by showing how he can bully around someone else. I know it's easy to say "don't react to him" when I'm not the one who actually has to deal with him but that's just my thought.

    I'm sorry you are in a situation where you have to put up with him. I've began to think schools (like high schools) can be weird because they can sometimes force you to interact with people who you may not would want to otherwise. I guess if you have a teaching job, that can be the case as well. Must be frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. I'm actually doing quite well by "not reacting", because I know he wants me to get upset.
    And:
    I'm 5 feet tall, so to me he IS towering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, when I used to hang out with you, I actually did feel like I was taller than I usually do.

    Hmm, I hope that doesn't make Keri mad at me. You're just as tall as everyone else!

    Is he young? Maybe he'll mature some. I think I was a little more of a jerk when I was younger than I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you talked to some of the other professors? They might be able to let you know what are the acceptable norms for the department. In some departments they will tell you that if a student is being that disrespectful to have them leave the class. I would talk to him individually after class and explain that his behavior is inappropriate and a distraction. If he cannot act appropriately you will ask him to leave class for the day. (But again, check with your dept head first to make sure that is ok)

    Hopefully talking to him one on one will take care of it though.

    ReplyDelete