February 14, 2011

I love you, 13.1.

This past weekend was the Mercedes Marathon and Half Marathon.  I had a terrible stomach flu beginning Friday night and lasting early into Sunday morning. I was in denial until about 4 p.m. Saturday, but ultimately  I was forced to cancel the lasagna dinner I had planned to prepare for my friends to celebrate the race.  Instead I carbed up on ramen noodles and crackers and Sprite.  I was unsure if I would be able run, and I'm pretty sure Amy had already given up on me and resorted to praying.

But I got up at 5:30 Sunday morning determined.  I choked down some dry toast, tylenol to stave off the fever and aches, as well as a little watered down gatorade, and texted my friend to tell her I would be there!  My rationale was that the course went right down our street (!) so I could stop if I really needed to.  So we ran.  Slowly. I had certainly hoped for better than a 2:07 gun time, but what can you do.  Jada says I get major bad-ass points for running in spite of illness, so we will go with that.  I did my best, and am certainly thankful for my very patient friend who joined me.  We made it, and then I took a four-hour nap.  I am back to normal (finally) today and I actually feel wonderful, almost like I could have done the full.  Almost.

Congrats to Amy for her first half-marathon!

Not feeling awesome, but definitely awesomely excited!

Look, it's Jada!  She is shedding a layer and using our yard as a closet!

 Here come Amy and I.  I decided that if I needed  a pitstop, 
I might as well use my own bathroom. 

A quick layer-shed for us and it's off again! 
Thanks for the butt-shots, hubs, lol!

About 7.5 miles to go.



Happy Valentine's Day!  Mr Muffins arranged these beautiful roses for me himself, then brought them by my office! They smell great too!  How lucky am I?  I am going to cook dinner tonight and we'll probably use our china and watch a movie or something low key.  Have a great day with your valentine, too!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the run, Keri! I'm glad you are feeling better now. I've never had stomach flu before (thankfully, I rarely get sick) but it doesn't sound fun.

    ReplyDelete