February 26, 2012

Balloons on the mailbox-party over here!

We have had an eventful and exhausting weekend.  Friday was Rob's 29th birthday and he JUST HAD to open his gift from me (and Em) first thing-a new iPod Touch!  I think he knew that's what he was getting and just couldn't wait.  For dinner we followed our tradition of grilling steaks at home, and we also had baked sweet potatoes and garlic bread.  This year, instead of the triple layer monster Paula Deen carrot cake, Rob requested mint-filled brownies.  I was happy to oblige, but one day I plan to make the monster cake again.  Of course, Rob will have to do something awesome first- maybe he can birth our next child.

Em helps dad open his gift.  Presents in bed-one big reason I love birthdays :)


Then, Saturday we threw a Farewell Party for our friend Lindsey, who's taken a postdoc job at Cornell University.  We're so sad to see her go, and she's sad to go too.  But she will be closer to family, and new beginnings are great.  

The party was great, complete with a slideshow of snapshots from Lindsey's time in Birmingham, lots of alcohol, flaming Dr Pepper shots, a stockpot bigger than me full of my mom's gumbo, and lots of other snacky foods.  I'll have you know that the gumbo is now GONE.  I made about 6 tons of it and I'm glad I did-it was very popular.  Good thing I don't mind making foods I don't eat. 

It's nice to throw parties again...little by little I think Rob and I are getting back into the swing of socializing regularly. Em was here the whole time, and got totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of loud-ass people in her house, especially at bedtime. This is the part where I learned that bedtime routines are great, except when you change ONE LITTLE THING.  Then your life is ruined temporarily. But we got her calmed down and asleep and then everyone continued to have fun!

Then, Sunday I realized I shouldn't party like a college student anymore, since, you know, I'm not one.  I also realized that they should make babysitters for the day after a party.

Everyone crowded in the room with the food.
And so many people were in and out all night-
I was suddenly very happy my mom gave me a giant stockpot.

The lovely assistant makes Flaming Dr Peppers


This was Steph's first Flaming Dr Pepper.  She was not so into it, but she gave it a try :)

Don't try to sip a shot.  It will never work.

Erica stretches to get ready for her turn!

Erica and I finish ours.  
I don't know why anyone does this if this is how their face looks afterward.

Later, Rob and I make our post-shot faces.
Obviously I should work on mine before the next party.

I take time out from partying to be a mom for a minute.
Poor sleepy baby just wanted to go to bed, dammit.

Edielicious and Amy

Amy and I demonstrate that we are incapable of taking good pictures.  
Both of us claim to be the least photogenic person on earth.

Then someone actually tried to take our picture for real and this is what happened.

There we go.

Porch folks.
Rosemary is drinking "tea" out of her mason jar.  
It took me a long time to figure out why her "tea" was fizzy on the top.

We have pretty friends.

With our guest of honor.




Is that Aimee drinking? Nah, it's just a red herring solo cup.

As cups empty, grins get bigger.
Exhibit A

Exhibit B.

Thanks for the memories, Lindsey!  Have fun making new ones-we will miss you!





1 comment:

  1. guess what i held back from drinking but i still had that big grin. why? because it was a great party!!!

    ReplyDelete