July 12, 2010

Adventures in Summer Student Mentorship.

1. Chronic Lateness, despite multiple corrections.

2. Disrespect (i.e.  Using "Come Here" instead of "Do you have a minute?")

3.  Refusing to read because it is boring.

4.  Refusing to work on project poster because it is boring.

5. Enjoys hands-on science.

6.  Rearranged my entire lab bench - cites boredom.

7.  Poster due tomorrow.  Did not make any changes suggested.  Mentor (that is me) will be working for a while.

8.  Mentor has learned a lot about biting tongue and correcting things before they become a problem.  (i.e.  "I'm your boss and not your mom.  I don't care if you are bored")

9.  Formal evaluation of student this week.  Eek.

This is the last week!  Til next summer.  Definitely an educational experience, and that's why I signed up.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear...

    What a cruddy attitude. Sounds like the eval should reflect it accordingly if you have already talked to her about things.

    Students these days... I am so glad we were never like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh I know right..
    update: the eval went well--i was honest, but not ugly, a true professional-- and she is prepared for her presentation.
    1 point to me!

    ReplyDelete