July 1, 2010

Me? An athlete?

So I have a blog.  I suppose I can blog about anything, but I feel like I should have a theme. But let's face it.  I can't commit to a blog, so how can I commit to a theme for my blog?  So today I'm going to talk about being an athlete.

My neighbor Amy has become my workout partner.  This only sort of happened because

1. She is a delight

2.  I am a delight (we have a lot in common already)

3.  I now have to PAY if I want a gym membership, and I'm being uncharacteristically cheap about it.

So we work out together.  We do INSANITY (yes, with Sean-T), and I'm working on burning the P90X DVD's.  (I fail, by the way, at converting .iso files to a dvd, so suggestions are welcome.)

So she used to run cross country, now has three daughters (aged 3, 21 mos, and 4 mos, I know, but that's a post for another day), and I suggested we do a half marathon.  She then 1-upped me about 3 weeks later and suggested we bite the bullet and do a full one.  This will involve roughly 468 miles of training runs starting in early October, and a brutal 18 miler the day after Christmas.  I mean, I imagine I'll need a break from Christmas anyway, but still.. 

Since I've done 3 half marathons (see photo from the 2nd) and a few -K's of variable distances, I consider myself pretty well seasoned on the shorter, manageable distances. So we shall see how it goes.  My husband is not a fan.  He is pretty sure I'll need knee replacements after this.  But, you know, I've ALWAYS wanted to do it.  Just once.  To join that elite group.

Plus, I really think that since I'm in that magical place where I don't have kids and I'm out of grad school, now really is the time to give it a shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment