July 27, 2010

Their gardens put my garden to shame.

As promised I'm going to write about my weekend, even though it is Tuesday, and the word "weekend" evokes both blurry memories and desperate longings.

Anyway, last Friday, Amy and I were supposed to work out.  We were even going to do a wuss workout, which involves running up and down hills in 90 degree heat.  But INSANITY (with Shawn-T) is worse.  Anyway, we both bailed on working out Friday.  Instead, she invited us over to dinner at their house with Stephen's dad Gerald and brother Brian.  We brought brownies, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream.  For dinner we had kabobs, brats, and salad.  YUM.  But before we could eat dinner (which was supposed to be around 6:30ish), there was a guy outside that needed a jump for his truck.  Rob and Stephen and Brian and Gerald spent about 2 hours trying to jump this guy's truck.  Then he locked the keys inside.  Then it was discovered that he was only out of gas.  WHAT.  Anyway, we ate around 8:45 then played some games with them. I got to draw glasses and a mustache on Amy's face with brown eyeshadow.  Fun times :)

Saturday morning, Abby, Amy, her baby Karis, and I went to the yuppie farmer's market, Pepper Place.  We bought all kinds of produce (see photos!), and met Edie there for coffee at the Red Cat coffee house.  We stayed until about noon, and had a lovely time. Then Amy and I did some shopping at Target and Old Navy.  I got some SUPER SEXY yoga shorts (thanks Edie for the recommendation).  I miss just randomly doing things like that, so I've made a note to myself to shirk housecleaning more often and spend time with my closest buds.

So then I had to clean the house a little and run to the lab.  Saturday night we had my labmate Matt over for dinner, and he was impressed by our skillz in the kitchen.  Then Sunday morning Amy and I got up for a quick run around the neighborhood, I finished a book, laid out, went to lab to coverslip human striatum (the life I lead), folded and put away laundry, then we went to the dollar theater at 10 Sunday night to see Robin Hood.  Needless to say, after a weekend like that, I dozed through most of the 2nd hour.

Anyway, it was jam-packed and lovely.  Below are some pictures of my booty from the farmer's market!  I want to go EVERY WEEK!  And just might, if I can talk my friends into joining me.


I got peppers, heirloom tomatoes, peaches, cucumbers, local honey, and local goat cheese!  And Amy gave me this great market bag to tote all my stuff in (she made it!)!  As I have mentioned many times before, she is a delight.  The tomatoes, goat cheese, and cucumbers were combined with some spinach for a lovely heirloom and cherry tomato salad for Matt's dinner visit!






Happy Tuesday everyone, and visit your local farmer's market!  The produce they have is often cheaper and always is better than that at your grocery store :)

No comments:

Post a Comment