July 20, 2010

An important life decision:

I am leaving facebook!
On Friday of this week, I will no longer be a member.  This link had no effect whatsoever on my decision, but is interesting nonetheless. There are many reasons why.

The first is that, although I enjoy keeping up with folks, its not as much fun now that EVERYONE, including my former boss and many MANY coworkers, are on facebook.  Plus aunts, uncles, cousins, inlaws, etc etc. I LOVE my family, but I really enjoyed facebook when it was more for students.  Of course, you can't really blame them for expanding and getting more members.  I just feel like I waste a lot of time on FB everyday/week, and also I usually end up annoyed at someone's recent post every time I log on.  I have tried hiding people and even unfriending (gasp!), but to no avail. 

As an aside, WTF is up with people posting on FB when they're in the delivery room or on their way down the aisle to get married?  Some things shouldn't be shared with the 978 people in your "friends" list, in my opinion. Share them with your spouse, your children, the people you're most intimately involved with.

Also, now that it's become such a giant, you can't randomly say quirky bitchy things about your job without putting yourself at risk.  And potential employers are looking at them all the time. Plus I'll start teaching in the fall and don't want to risk any students finding me on fb. I'll still be careful of what I say on here, but it's not nearly as catching if it's buried in a blog somewhere, something people have to actually read.

There are so many people on my facebook that I don't care to keep up with, but feel guilty for un-friending.  It's complicating my life.

So I'm tired of it.  

Friday I will be deleting my account and keeping up with everyone I want to keep up with the old-fashioned way.  Email and text message!

I hope to hear from some.  And hope to God I NEVER hear from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment